American Standard models are available for electric heat pump and gas systems. Your technician can help you determine what size and efficiency is best for your home. Every home is different, and Bunn’s & Bennett will recommend the best system available for your unique situation.
Use this checklist to help determine if it’s time to replace your air conditioner or heat pump:
- Repair Cost: You might think a few A/C parts or a new A/C compressor will do the trick, but if the cost of repair is approximately 30 to 50 percent of the estimated cost of a new unit, replacement probably makes sense. Also, if your equipment has been prone to problems or you have reason to expect problems, replacement may be in order. Also, new equipment is likely to be a better bet if you own R22 equipment, which is being phased out.
- Warranty: Consult the Terms and Conditions of your equipment warranty before making repair or replacement decisions. Generally, replacement parts fall under the original warranty, so they are only warranted as long as your original warranty is in effect. Repair labor is often not covered by your warranty.
- Equipment Age: How well your equipment ages depends on how well you maintain it and the operating demands you place on it. In general, if your A/C or heat pump is over 8- to 10-years old, it’s best to replace.
- Moving or Staying: If you plan to move in the near future, repair is often the best choice. However, if you plan on staying in your home, it’s wise to invest in an energy efficient A/C -heat pump system that has the capacity to cool your home efficiently and cost effectively.
- How Well Is Your Existing Equipment Working: Are your electric bills too high? Does your system keep your home cool enough?
Tip: Make sure to schedule your preventative maintenance. With a Bunn’s & Bennett maintenance plan, you’ll lower your monthly utility bills by having a more efficient HVAC system. More importantly, a maintained system dramatically lengthens the life of your equipment, saving you thousands of dollars by not having to prematurely replace your system. Bunn’s and Bennett Service Program® Members enjoy pre-season preventive maintenance check-ups twice a year.